Saturday, November 21, 2009

Back Home

We've been home a week now, adjusting to the NW November weather and time change.  We had a great trip, varied experiences from ultra urban cities to wetlands wildlife, and of course my return to Paraguay.

It was wonderful, and sometimes awkward seeing the people I worked with back in Pilar.  It seemed as if 25 years had evaporated seeing the teachers I had worked with, until of course their children, that were once under seven years of age appeared as fully formed adults, some with children of their own.  Pilar is now larger with new neighborhoods, more people, more paved streets and infrastructure: cellphones, television, internet, motos, but the feeling is still tranquilo and the people are warm and generous in opening their homes and hearts to you.

I met the new PC volunteers in Pilar, and in this new PC with cellphones and internet access I'm hoping to assist Joan, one of the volunteers, in getting some libraries started in the schools and town.  She has started the groundwork with proposals and requests for some books, but has a long road ahead to get appropriate reading materials and community support.  Therefore, what I am requesting from friends and family this year instead of holiday gifts for me, would be either books or donations for to me purchase appropriate books for the children of Pilar.  If you want to provide books, the schools are most in need of early childhood picture books in Spanish.  Thanks so much for your help with this.  Coming home to house filled with books, book club gathering and memories of all my childhood reads has made me more cognizant and appreciative of the gift of reading.

I'm also attaching links to more photos of our journey for those of you not able to see them on Facebook.    http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahg59

Wishing you all a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season!

Love, Sarah 

2 comments:

  1. I will definitely try and pick up some good children´s books here and send them home with my dad (who is coming out to meet me in Chile for christmas this year), though it will be a big circle to the states and back to Paraguay for them. So glad to see your photos! Looks like a great trip. Cheers!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! We whipped up this special November weather so you could just plunge right back in! -- Teresa

    ReplyDelete