Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Dogs of Buenos Aires

The dogs of Buenos Aires are self contained and are often blocky in some way: square headed quietly smiling pit bulls, rectangular enigmatic scotties.

Still, there is more variation among dogs than among men's faces. I've mentioned that I am vulnerable to jet lag. I have a strong sense of rhythm, I know when I am even 5 minutes late, and when the time zone changes (5 hours!) the patterns of my thoughts change in unpredictable ways. We've heard this before, no? "BA seems so European, the people there came from Italy, the people are beautiful".

There is impressive genetic homogeneity. On day 2 in BA I was disturbed to realize that there were only 3 men's faces in BA. Just 3: the lean dark beautiful face with large features, the broad nosed dimpled charming face, and the paler small featured serious face. It was weird to walk in the crowds that day.

Sarah was more taken with the fact that most of the women have long dark hair. But only 3 men's faces -






J

2 comments:

  1. Impressive that you were able to make such interesting observations in a jet lagged state. Looking forward to following your adventures vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, there is a marvelous Mirah song which talks about the Dogs of Buenos Aires. Though she fails to mention the men´s faces... Hope you have made it to some of my favorite spots! Cheers from Bolivia
    m

    ReplyDelete